East Campus Building 2
Wiley Wilson (Peer Review)
East Campus Building 2 is a 830,787 square foot building complex utilized for cyber research which employs highly robust mechanical, electrical and data systems to support 24/7/365 mission critical operations. As the design build mechanical contractor, the KDB engineering team worked with our contracted Engineer of Record (EOR) to provide design and coordination services for the building’s HVAC, piping and plumbing systems. Primary systems for the building include:
- A 4,800-Ton central chilled water plant with N+1 water-cooled chillers
- Twelve (12) 15,000 gallon thermal storage tanks to back up the chiller plant
- A 12,000 MBH central heating water system with N+1 high efficiency condensing boilers
- 31,000 CFM floor-by-floor Variable Air Volume Air Handlers, three (3) per floor, supplied with 121,000 cfm of outdoor air from three (3) roof-mounted Dedicated Outdoor Air Handling Units (DOAS).
- Plumbing systems for a full-service dining facility.
KBD employed CFD modeling to aid in the design and optimization of the thermal storage tanks which resulted in improved performance and lower overall cost. Additionally, KDB assisted with all of the necessary energy modeling in support of a LEED silver rating goal for the building. All of the systems were designed using Autodesk Revit software and multi-trade coordinated using Navisworks during the design, fabrication and installation phases.
The KDB field team made extensive use of Virtual Reality (VR) technology on site during the coordination and installation phases to aid